Last night, BBC Radio 1’s Annie Mac dropped a new track from the forthcoming Major Lazer album, ‘Free The Universe‘.
‘Jessica’, featuring Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig, is a gem of a track with it’s spaced out vibe, high-pitched vocals and effortlessly chilled out reggae rhythms. Quite the hypnotic track that’s been on repeat ever since, making the already delayed album worth the wait.
The forthcoming album, ‘Free The Universe’ will be the 2nd album from Major Lazer (AKA American DJ/Producer Diplo and Walshy Fire) and has been almost two and a half years in the making. Having already released ‘Get Free‘ ft. Amber Coffman of Dirty Projectors, ‘Jah No Partial’ ft Flux Pavillion and their latest single ‘Bumaye’ (Watch Out for This) ft. Busy Signal & Flexican, Major Lazer are primed to take over 2013 with their infectious reggae rhythms and dance hall vibes.
Speaking with Annie Mac this evening who’s sitting in for Zane Lowe, ‘Free The Universe’ is an extremely varied album featuring a whole host of collaborations, from Flux Paillion, Danielle from HAIM, Wyclef Jean, Santigold, Timberlee and Bruno Mars. With reggae and dancehall firmly at the helm, there’s also a nice mix of indie and pop.
“ It represents where we come from and the music and artists we love.”
Major Lazer have been on tour the past 6 months and are currently at the renowned SXSW in Austin Texas before hitting up Ultra Music Festival, Lollapalooza and Coachella. Even before the release of their 2nd album, Diplo, who produces a number of other artists, hinted at the possible release of further music in the Summer leading up to Carnival. It’s no wonder Diplo has constantly been referred to as one of the hardest working men in the industry.
Another big announcement this evening is that Major Lazer are set to make their debut appearance at Reading & Leeds. If you haven’t been to a Major Lazer Party, then you’re in for a treat cause it’s one hell of a party!
Be sure to listen to ‘Diplo and Friends‘ every Sunday at 1am on BBC Radio 1. This weekend sees Diplo in the mix for 2 hours, where he’ll be dropping more exclusive tacks from ‘Free The Universe’. Until then, listen to the latest 2 tracks ‘Jessica’ and ‘Watch Out For This‘ and let the countdown to April 15th begin!
Free the Universe:
1. You’re No Good [ft. Santigold, Vybz Kartel, Danielle Haim & Yasmin]
2. Jet Blue Jet [ft. Leftside, GTA, Razz & Biggy]
3. Get Free [ft. Amber Coffman of Dirty Projectors]
4. Jah No Partial [ft. Flux Pavilion]
5. Wind Up [ft. Elephant Man & Opal]
6. Scare Me [ft. Peaches & Timberlee]
7. Jessica [ft. Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend]
8. Bumaye (Watch Out for This) [ft. Busy Signal & Flexican]
9. Keep Cool [ft. Shaggy & Wynter Gordon]
10. Sweat [ft. Laidback Luke & Ms. Dynamite]
11. Reach for the Stars [ft. Wyclef Jean]
12. Bubble Butt [ft. Bruno Mars, Tyga & Mystic]
13. Mashup the Dance [ft. the Partysquad & Ward 21]
14. Playground [ft. Bugle & Arama]